Sunday 18 September 2016

The year I stopped playing PES

It was late 2015, I had just finished up my PES 2015 Master League series for my youtube channel which was very underwhelming. I thought my youtube gaming days were behind me so I ignored all of the usual hype for the newest edition of PES and decided not to buy PES 2016.
Looking back over videos now from some of my favourite PES youtubers I started to think that maybe this was a mistake? Maybe this was the year when the series would have a turnaround?
It was the first time since PES 2011 that a skipped out on a PES game. I remember PES 2010 being the final straw before I switched over to the darkside and became a 100% fifa fan. Many may not know this but I uploaded fifa videos back then, from 09-11 it was all fifa content that I used to make until I realized it was no longer for me and seen a gap in the youtube market for PES.
PES 2013 was my favourite in the series but after the disappointment of PES 2014 followed by 2015 which was pretty much a carbon copy I just didn't enjoy making the videos for youtube anymore, the game was no longer fun for me and I also didn't feel it was even worth my while upgrading to a next gen console. You may be thinking why would I come back to PES this year? Well it's because it took me that year (or two) to realize what I was missing, My subscriber count on the channel pretty much came to a dead stop, I was starting to miss the days where I'd put up a skill tutorial and it would rack up 20k views in a week. I'll admit I even became a little jealous seeing how much some other channels have grown (particularly the ones who do fifa/pes comparisons) but it served as inspiration to me. I had always seen the youtube gaming thing as a hobby and a handy bit of pocket money when I was back in school but now it seems as though the tide is changing. There is a place on youtube for PES gamers to make it big, sure we're still 3-4 years behind the fifa gamers in terms of channel growth but with the growing respect throughout the gaming community for PES recently I think it's time we all get stuck in and support the growth of the game and it's youtubers.
So where do I go from here? I think it's about rediscovering that passion I had for the game in 2012/13 where I went a summer without missing a daily upload, where each video required 100% effort and not just a half assed attempt to keep the channel alive. I decided to upload one single PES 2016 video just for channel continuity so I can say to myself "at least there's one PES 16 video in there" I'll embed the video below, nothing spectacular but for PES 2017 I'm bringing my A game back.

No comments:

Post a Comment